Vacancy - Assistant Finance Officer
Assistant Finance Officer
CORPORATE SERVICES DEPARTMENT (Ref: 08/12)
FULL TIME (37 HOURS PER WEEK)/PERMANENT
This post is for an Assistant Finance Officer in the Corporate Services Department.
2. Terms and Conditions
Salary Scale: £16,863-£20,717 (Aug 08 £17,668 - £21,132)
Initial salary will fall within the scale minimum and scale maximum. Annual increases in salary are in accordance with NICS pay policy. They are normally payable from
1st August each year, subject to at least 3 months satisfactory performance in the specific reporting year (April to March).
Pension Scheme The Council offers a contributory pension scheme operated through the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers Superannuation Committee.
Probationary Period The appointment will commence with a probation period of six months which may be terminated at a month’s notice by either side during the period.
Annual Leave Twenty five working days per annum. The leave year runs from
1st March to 28/29th February.
Monday to Thursday: 9.00am to 5.30pm
Friday: 9.00am to 5.00pm
Monday to Thursday: 8.00am to 6.30pm
Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm
(including one hour for lunch every day)
A flexi-time scheme is in operation within the Arts Council. The successful applicant must be willing to work within the flexi-time hours. The person appointed may be required to work outside these hours.
Office Location The post is based at the Arts Council’s offices, 77 Malone Road, Belfast.
3. Closing Date
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is 5.00pm Friday 4th July 2008.
The completed Application Form and Recruitment Monitoring Form should be returned in an envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL and must be addressed to:
The Monitoring Officer
Arts Council of Northern Ireland
77 Malone Road
Belfast BT9 6AQ
Failure to complete and return the Application Form in accordance with the Guidance Notes contained on the reverse of the first page of the Application Form will result in your application being disqualified.
Canvassing will disqualify.
Copies of this job application pack are available in large text or on disk, on written request only, from the Corporate Services Department, Arts Council of Northern Ireland, MacNeice House, 77 Malone Road, Belfast BT9 6AQ or by email from firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial shortlisting will be carried out using the Essential requirements in the Person Specification. Should further shortlisting be necessary, the Desirable requirements will be applied in the order shown.
Interviews for this post are scheduled to be held on 21 August 2008 but this date is subject to possible change.
The Arts Council will treat all information and documents supplied in support of this application as strictly confidential unless required to disclose such by a statutory body in connection with any claim which may arise out of the appointment.
6. Relevant Accounting Technician Qualification
Appointees who do not hold the Institute of Accounting Technicians in Ireland (IATI) [or equivalent] must obtain the full qualification, with ACNI support, within 3 years of date of appointment.
Objectives of the Post
• To be responsible for assisting in the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive financial function within the Arts Council for Northern Ireland.
• To carry out financial management and accounting tasks in accordance with procedures established in the finance team in order to meet the requirements of standing orders, financial regulations and other corporate standards.
• To assist in meeting corporate requirements in relation to budgets, budget monitoring and final accounts.
Scope of Responsibility
The post holder is responsible to the Finance Manager and will carry out such duties as directed and operate specified financial and accounting systems.
The following gives an indication of the main duties and responsibilities of the post. These may change over time. The post holder will be expected to work flexibly and carry out any work that is reasonably required and appropriate to the grade.
• To be fully conversant with all aspects of the Council’s computerised financial and payroll ledgers;
• to operate specified financial modules/ledgers as directed by the Finance Manager;
• to carry out specified day-to-day financial administrative activities as directed;
• to deal with routine financial queries;
• to provide support and advice to the other officers of the Council on matters such as budgetary monitoring and control;
• to liaise with the Council’s bank as directed by the Finance Manager including reconciliation of bank and credit card statements;
• to assist the Finance Manager with the production of financial and management reports as required;
• to make the submission of specified statutory returns and declarations to the necessary authorities within deadlines;
• to assist with the preparation of all financial records, ledgers, summaries and inventories of equipment etc. for year end audit review;
• to support the implementation of the Arts Council’s policy in relation to equality of opportunity.
1. STANDARD OF EDUCATION Five GCSE (Grades A–C) two of which must be English (Language) and Maths; and Two ‘A’ Level passes or equivalent.
2. EXPERIENCE Two years full-time experience gained within the last 4 years in a finance administrative role including working with computerised accounting systems and the preparation of financial reports. You must demonstrate excellent numerical and analytical skills.
3. SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE Practical knowledge of internal control, checking, budgeting and computerised purchase and sales ledgers.
4. COMMUNICATION Ability to create, develop and maintain effective working relationships within the unit and organisation as well as with external customers.
5. IT SKILLS Significant expertise in the use of the standard IT packages including MS Office, Excel and email (preferably MS Outlook).
6. PERSONAL EFFECTIVENESS Ability to undertake work/tasks, alone or as part of a team, involving a high degree of attention of detail and confidentiality, working under pressure to meet tight deadlines
7. QUALIFICATION Achievement of, or studying for, a professional accounting qualification at Accounting Technician level or higher.
8. SAGE ACCOUNTING Experience in the use of Sage accounting packages.
9. PAYROLL Computerised payroll systems.
10. PUBLIC SECTOR Understanding of issues and standards of accountability within the public sector.